Just before the beginning of the new year, Nominet (.uk registry) reached an important milestone. The 9th millionth .uk domain name was registered.
On November 30th 2010 the sunrise for the .gr.com domain started. This sunrise will end on January 9th 2011. If you want to register a domain name during the sunrise, you need to meet the following conditions:
- You need to be the owner of a registered trademark. You can only register this trademark under the .gr.com domain during the sunrise
- You’ll need to provide paperwork to prove you are the owner of the registered trademark
During the sunrise .gr.com domain names can be registered per year. If during the sunrise 2 or more persons apply for the same name and all the applications are valid, those names will be sold during an auction after the sunrise to the highest bidder.
We also need to mention that .gr.com isn’t an official Greek extension and that it isn’t supported by the Greek registry. The release of this extension is handled by CentralNic which is known for offering such subdomains as for instance .gb.com, .ru.com, .de.com,….
On December 1st 2010 the release of 1 and 2 character .uk names started with a ‘Registered Right Sunrise’. This sunrise will end on January 17th 2011. During this sunrise period owners of a registered trade mark can file an application to register a domain name. Attention: You need to meet the following conditions:
- the domain name you wish to register needs to match your registered trade mark exactly
- your registered trademark needs to be valid in the UK
- your registered trade mark needed to be active before January 1st 2008
- you need to provide evidence of doing business in the UK before January 1st 2008 using this registered trade mark
Only if you meet those 4 conditions, you will be able to file an application for a domain name during this sunrise period. If 2 or more persons apply for the same name and those applications are considered as valid than the domain name will be sold during an auction at the highest bidder. Only people who filed a valid application can participated in the auction.